First Steps After a Bicycle Accident
Nearly 50,000 bicyclists are injured or killed as a result of roadway accidents involving cars, trucks, pedestrians and other hazards on the roadway. The attorneys at Feagans Law Group P.C. are experienced in fighting for your rights, should you be injured in a bicycle accident. After any bicycle accident, injury victims should take the following steps:
1. Check for injuries and seek medical attention. Never refuse medical attention at the scene. The most important thing following any accident is your health. If emergency treatment is necessary, call 9-1-1 immediately. If in doubt, request an ambulance or seek evaluation with your general care doctor or chiropractor immediately following an accident. If symptoms occur days after an accident or worsen with time, do not hesitate to seek treatment right away. Medical records are necessary to document any injuries caused by a car accident. Notify your doctors as to how your accident occurred and provide accurate details of your conditions and progress at each visit.
2. Notify the police. Complete an accident report and provide all relevant information about the crash to the police officer, including any conversations you had with other motorists, bicyclists or witnesses.
3. Gather evidence. Write down the names, contact information and license plate numbers for all vehicles, owners and witnesses as well as notes about how the accident happened. Obtain insurance information from motorists. Write down anything anyone says about how the accident happened – including any admissions of fault. Take photographs and video of the accident scene with special attention to the exact area where your accident occurred. Photograph your injuries and the damage to your bicycle and other vehicles. Check for hazardous road conditions such as broken pavement, potholes or other hazards that might have caused or contributed to your accident.
4. Be careful about what you say following an accident. Do not admit guilt or downplay the accident or your injuries. Do not post about the accident on social media.
5. Do not speak with the insurance company or their representatives. Their job is to gather information to limit the value of your claim. They are not on your side.
6. Contact an experienced accident attorney at Feagans Law Group. Accident victims should never sign any legal documents or give any recorded statements until they have consulted with an attorney. The attorneys at Feagans Law Group can advise bicyclists of their rights, guide them through the medical and insurance process, perform a factual investigation into the accident to determine potential sources of liability and obtain the necessary evidence, communicate with insurance companies, and advocate on the behalf of accident victims to ensure clients receive maximum compensation for their injuries.