Our trucking accidents lawyer in St Charles has some safety tips to avoid accidents
If you’ve been in an accident, at Feagans Law Group, our trucking accidents lawyer in St Charles will pursue justice on your behalf. According to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), more than 400 people die each year as the result of underride accidents. Also, more than 5,000 occupants of cars and other passenger vehicles are severely injured annually in these types of crashes.
Truck underride accidents typically refer to accidents where a passenger vehicle comes in contact with the rear end of a truck and then slides under the trailer. This type of underride collision often results in the bottom edge of the trailer tearing off the passenger vehicles windshield, and/or crushing the roof of the car.
As a result, passengers inside the car are at extreme risk of serious injury and death. Underride accidents can also occur when part or all of the passenger vehicle slides or becomes wedged beneath any part of the truck, including the front and sides as well as the rear. If this has happened to you or a loved one, you will need an experienced trucking accidents lawyer in St Charles to pursue your case.
Underride accidents are most commonly caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Poor visibility caused by road conditions, other motorists, night blindness, weather and improper lighting
- Truck brake light failure
- Poor or non-existent underside guards
- Truck driver neglect including distraction, fatigue and poor decision making
If you are in a regular vehicle, there are a couple of things you can do to prevent an accident with a commercial truck.
- Use your headlights – this helps ensure the truck driver can see you.
- Keep a sufficient distance between you and the truck – this also helps ensure the driver can see you. In addition, it give both you and the commercial truck driver ample time to react should either need to stop suddenly or change lanes.
Sometimes you can do everything right…and still need an experienced trucking accidents lawyer in St Charles
While the initial collision in an underride accident might not always be caused by the commercial truck driver, proper design and maintenance of commercial trucks can and should prevent underride conditions from happening, even after a rear-end collision.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck underride collision, regardless of the cause of the accident, please contact the trucking accidents lawyer in St Charles at Feagans Law Group P.C. We will arrange for a free consultation to discuss the benefits of a full and complete investigation into your accident. We would be honored to Guide Your Path to Justice.